Friday, October 26, 2007

DIY: Flash Gels...on your printer


I had a "eureka" moment this morning while I was having my coffee. Why not use transparencies and my CAD program to create flash gels. You can make them any color you want. Size them to fit your flash with the appropriate tail to attach velcro. You can even grab patterns and textures from Google image search to create a pattern or hue on your background.

On these samples I just guessed at the colors for 1/2 and full CTO but I suppose you could investigate the correct RGB value and create a spot-on color value. I haven't spent the time to try different patterns and colors that might emulate muslin backgrounds but I suppose there are some clever folks who will.

Have fun. The possibilities are endless. If you have a drawing program that can read .dxf files, I can email the file I used as a template.

1 comment:

Sean Phillips said...

You could scan the gels in a sample pack and insert them into your template. Might need to do some iteration to get the color right depending on the scanner and the printer. Probably doesn't need to be exact though....